Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Letter From Heaven

I sat with you in the hospital as they told you the news
He won’t wake again, he’s gone they said
And you cried. I see the pain on your face
I hate seeing you that way… knowing I’m the cause of it all

I lay with you through the night when you couldn’t sleep
When your eyes wouldn’t dry and your heart wouldn’t rest
When you replayed in your head, conversations we had had
When you wondered if there was anything we could have changed

Unsaid words that lay in your heart
Words that tear you up and leave you broken
Words that you have said a hundred times to yourself
But never to me… or so you thought.

I was with you through the week as the phone kept ringing
Neighbors kept calling with flowers and condolences
And your eyes were tired but you couldn’t sleep
And your body was hungry but you couldn’t eat

I am with you now as you sit there wondering what’s next
I’ll hold your hand, even if you can’t feel mine
I’ll kiss your face, even when all you feel is the wind
I’ll hold you tight, even when you think you are imagining it

I will walk with you into eternity until the day that heaven comes
I’ll stay by your side all the while
Watch over you and help you along
What would ever be heaven if you weren’t here too.

All you see right now is a bad reflection of the beauty that is here
A distorted mirror that shows you but a glimpse of the truth
I have not left on a journey that would take me far away
Here I am before you wishing you could see me

But for now my dear, live your life
Know that I am near
Your time will come to see this too
But no need to make it soon

I’ll be here watching all the while
Look for me in the streams of light
In the gentle wind, or the dusk of night
I love you always and forever -Dad

No comments: