Tuesday, July 17, 2007

I spent a couple of weeks in East Germany as a teenager, and found the experience to be enlightening in a way I never expected. For all the deprivation I expected to see, there was light and clarity in the relationships I encountered, and I found myself taking a deep look at my own life as a result. I met a girl named Diana, whose goal in life was to become president of her own communist state. Strange, you may say... but I understand her motivation. She felt that in the absence of capitalism, people were more free to love each other without the pressures that we equate to this "modern" world of ours. In that place I learned that money is an empty motivator, and that true riches are found in rich relationships with people... this lesson has been carved deeply on my soul... it is something I am continually searching for.

No comments: